Weekly Newsletter for Parents, Staff and Students
October 4–10, 2018
HAPPENING THIS WEEK …
- Picture Day: Thursday-Friday, Oct. 4-5
- PTSA Board Meeting: Sunday, Oct. 7, 2-4 pm, Pizzeria Locale meeting room, 550 Broadway, Denver; all are welcome
- Canyonlands Fundraiser: Sunday, Oct. 7, 4-8 pm, Chipotle, 550 Broadway, Denver (mention the DCIS PTSA when ordering and the PTSA will get 33% of the proceeds, which will go towards the Canyonlands trip)
- Drama Club Fundraiser: Monday, Oct. 8, 4-8 pm, Chipotle, 550 Broadway, Denver (mention the DCIS Drama Club when ordering and the club will get 33% of the proceeds)
- Spirit Week: October 8-12
- FAFSA NIGHT for Seniors: Wednesday, Oct. 10, 5-7 pm, DCIS Community Room (103)m
MARK YOUR CALENDAR …
- Open House for Prospective Students: Thursday, Oct. 11, 8–9:15 am
- High School Homecoming Dance: Saturday, Oct. 13, Time TBD
- Student-Led Parent-Teacher Conferences: Tuesday-Wednesday, Oct. 16-17, 3:15-7:15 pm
- Fall Break – NO SCHOOL: Friday–Tuesday, Oct. 19–23; school resumes Wednesday, Oct. 24 (White Day)
- Middle School Halloween Dance: Friday, Oct. 26, 6–8 pm
- Open House for Prospective Students: Thursday, Nov. 1, 8–9:15 am
- Drama Club Fundraiser: Monday, Nov. 12, 4-8 pm, Pizzeria Locale, 550 Broadway, Denver (mention the DCIS Drama Club when ordering and the club will get 33% of the proceeds)
ADVOCATING FOR DCIS
Are you interested in advocating for more DPS money for our school? PLEASE JOIN US from 2 to 4 pm on Sunday, Oct. 7, in the meeting room at Pizzeria Locale (6th and Broadway) for a discussion on how we can make this happen; everyone welcome.
After the meeting, join fellow families at Chipotle from 4 to 8 pm on Sunday, Oct. 7, in support of the 10th Grade Travel Week. Please remember to mention the DCIS PTSA when ordering and the 10th grade travelers will get 33% of the proceeds!
The following trips are on the books and looking for participants. Please email any of the teachers listed for more information.
- Morocco/Spain – Sonia Burns and Patrick Garvey – This one is filling up!
- Italy – Dave Tabano
- Germany – Brian Powell and Kit Hinders
RAISE YOUR HAND …
A textbook cannot and should not be the only source of information students receive on a subject. Supplemental texts are vital in a history class. DCIS’ Advanced Placement United States History (APUSH) class covers over 600 years of history. The amount of content can be overwhelming, especially when students are relying on a dense textbook. AMSCO offers a supplementary resource that helps students by reviewing and synthesizing broader themes, regions, events and people and giving students the opportunity to practice historical thinking skills (stimulus-based multiple choice, short-answer questions, and essays) throughout. APUSH teacher Jennifer Boyle has created a Donors Choose campaign to fund the purchase of these AMSCO books for her students. Please click here to support this ambitious project to ensure all AP students have access to a high-quality supplemental resource for years to come!
FUNDRAISER FOR 10TH GRADE CANYONLANDS TRIPJoin us at Chipotle at 550 Broadway, Sunday, Oct. 7, 4-8 pm, to help raise money for the 10th grade Canyonlands trip.
PLEASE MENTION THE DCIS PTSA to the cashier before paying (or show a digital or paper flyer) to ensure the PTSA gets 33 percent of the proceeds, which will be split equally among all the 10th grade students attending.
RSVP to Marie and be sure to invite your family and friends!
FUNDRAISER FOR DRAMA CLUB
Join us at Chipotle at 550 Broadway, Monday, Oct. 8, 4-8 pm, to raise money for the Drama Club.
PLEASE MENTION THE DCIS DRAMA CLUB to the cashier before paying (or show a digital or paper flyer) and the Drama Club will get 33 percent of the proceeds.
TRAVEL FAIR SPOTLIGHT …
This week we feature the organization that brings a lot of exchange students to DCIS, including the familiar faces below!
EF HIGH SCHOOL EXCHANGE YEAR
For over 50 years we’ve been
OPENING THE WORLD THROUGH EDUCATION
EF Education First is the world’s largest private educational institution. Founded in 1965, EF offers a range of educational programs, from language training and educational travel to academic degrees and cultural exchange. With more than 450 offices in 50 countries and a mission to break down barriers in language, culture and geography, EF has helped millions of people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
SHARING CULTURES, CHANGING LIVES
Each year, EF High School Exchange Year connects thousands of international exchange students with caring host families across the United States. Together we bring cultures together, open communities to the wider world, and create lifelong friendships that span the globe. And you can be a part of it!
Check out EF’s website for more information.
Thanks again to all who came out for DCIS Travel Fair 2018! Check out photos from the event on the DCIS Community FaceBook Page.
The October DenverRAP (Resource for Awareness and Prevention) Activity Calendar is out. Take a look at its calendar for all sorts of free family activities around town.
DENVER ART MUSEUM
Did you know that the Denver Art Museum is FREE to all youth age 18 and under every day? As always, the first Saturday of each month is free for the entire family. New this month is the Print Studio in the Hamilton Building, Level 1, where museum-goers can try their hand at print-making.
COUNSELORS’ CORNER …
College Application Day (district-led): Wednesday, Oct. 24, 9 am-1 pm. Transportation and lunch will be provided. Negative permission slips will be sent out next week; only return it if your student will NOT be attending.
FAFSA Night: Wednesday, Oct. 10, 5-7 pm, DCIS Community Room
Other FAFSA Nights
For past issues of the newsletter, click here.